View user profile http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Re: 16: Jermaine Beckford - Fox in the Box

Post  Mr_Ben on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:32 pm

MagicMike wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
MagicMike wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:First signing of the summer and we are in MAY Shocked
Second actually. We've got Jan Mucha too.

Has he actually signed more over joined us (Mucha that is)
Good point actually. He's definitely been at Finch Farm though, I read an article on him. He went there before joining up with Slovakia. He's not on the squad profiles on the OS, whereas Beckford is. Maybe Mucha hasn't signed yet?

In January 2010 Mucha signed a pre-contract deal with English club Everton to join in July the same year.
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18321
Registration date : 2005-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KoelJagz on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:40 pm

Time for a poll (without actually doing a poll)

Gut feeling before a ball is kicked in anger. Jemaine Beckford.

The new Clinton Morrison?

The old Marcus Bent?

The deceptive DJ Campbell?

The brickhouse Les Ferdinand?

Eusebio?

Number of posts : 26821
Registration date : 2006-01-22

View user profile http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:47 pm

The old Marcus Bent
Mr_Ben

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MagicMike on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:48 pm

Mr_Ben wrote:
MagicMike wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
MagicMike wrote:

Good point actually. He's definitely been at Finch Farm though, I read an article on him. He went there before joining up with Slovakia. He's not on the squad profiles on the OS, whereas Beckford is. Maybe Mucha hasn't signed yet?

In January 2010 Mucha signed a pre-contract deal with English club Everton to join in July the same year.
Nice research. Ok, Beckford is the first!
MagicMike

Number of posts : 11414
Registration date : 2006-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:50 pm

MagicMike wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
MagicMike wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
MagicMike wrote:

Nice research. Ok, Beckford is the first!

From wikipedia so may not be 100% correct
Mr_Ben

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Balcony Blue on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:54 pm

Top Balcony Blue

Number of posts : 9812
Registration date : 2005-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MagicMike on Mon 31 May 2010, 1:58 pm

Bluejags wrote:Time for a poll (without actually doing a poll)

The old Marcus Bent?

Eusebio?
I don't know really. I've only seen him really in the FA Cup games (Utd/Spurs) and while he was pretty quite he scored the goals that mattered.

Just had a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzBX2cGGLw and he seems to score a 'mixed bag' of goals (headers, one-on-ones, chips, neat finishes, scrappy efforts, tap ins, volleys). What I do like from this video, and I appreciate that you can't tell too much from Youtube, is his movement. He seems to always be on the shoulder of the last defender, looking to work an angle for the through ball that would see him in on goal. He's also quick and seems to get a lot of goals on the brake.

His touch doesn't look great and I've no idea on his contribution to the rest of the game (hold/link up play etc) but I think he may do ok. He'll get my support.

Possibly more Darren than Marcus Bent, but I'll wait and see how he does in blue before deciding on him, Bruv.
MagicMike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Mon 31 May 2010, 2:13 pm

I'm excited we are getting some business done before August 30th. Hopefully he'll do well for us.
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 65769
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Mon 31 May 2010, 2:16 pm

MagicMike wrote:
Bluejags wrote:Time for a poll (without actually doing a poll)

The old Marcus Bent?

Eusebio?
I don't know really. I've only seen him really in the FA Cup games (Utd/Spurs) and while he was pretty quite he scored the goals that mattered.

Just had a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzBX2cGGLw and he seems to score a 'mixed bag' of goals (headers, one-on-ones, chips, neat finishes, scrappy efforts, tap ins, volleys). What I do like from this video, and I appreciate that you can't tell too much from Youtube, is his movement. He seems to always be on the shoulder of the last defender, looking to work an angle for the through ball that would see him in on goal. He's also quick and seems to get a lot of goals on the brake.

His touch doesn't look great and I've no idea on his contribution to the rest of the game (hold/link up play etc) but I think he may do ok. He'll get my support.

Possibly more Darren than Marcus Bent, but I'll wait and see how he does in blue before deciding on him, Bruv.
Cheers for the link, looks like he can score both with his feet and his head.
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 on Mon 31 May 2010, 2:56 pm

I dont have a problem with this deal, he scored 30 goals last season, maybe let off a bit when he was waiting for his move.

This is his big chance, he can either take it with both hands, get stuck in and score some goals or act like he has made it and be shipped out at Christmas (for a profit).

Moyes seems to know a good character when he sees one, and even if he is wrong, whatever he would be sold for would be a profit.

Everton should do more of this.
Michael Crosby S74

Number of posts : 27999
Registration date : 2005-10-13

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Balcony Blue on Mon 31 May 2010, 2:58 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:I dont have a problem with this deal, he scored 30 goals last season, maybe let off a bit when he was waiting for his move.

This is his big chance, he can either take it with both hands, get stuck in and score some goals or act like he has made it and be shipped out at Christmas (for a profit).

Moyes seems to know a good character when he sees one, and even if he is wrong, whatever he would be sold for would be a profit.

This.
Top Balcony Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamond on Mon 31 May 2010, 3:43 pm

Diamond

Number of posts : 1941

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamond on Mon 31 May 2010, 3:44 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:I dont have a problem with this deal, he scored 30 goals last season, maybe let off a bit when he was waiting for his move.

Its a great deal if you ask me, if he gets at least 15 goals then he has been a good signing if he turns out crap we can sell to Newcastle and make a 3 million profit
Diamond

Number of posts : 1941

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land on Mon 31 May 2010, 4:42 pm

If he is good then great...

If he isnt then at least it has pissed off Ken Bates. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20987
Registration date : 2006-01-07

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  MagicMike on Mon 31 May 2010, 5:54 pm

Diamond wrote:

Its a great deal if you ask me, if he gets at least 15 goals then he has been a good signing if he turns out crap we can sell to Newcastle and make a 3 million profit
If he manages 15 goals then it'll be very, very good signing! You'd pay big money these days for that amount.
MagicMike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee on Mon 31 May 2010, 6:13 pm

Bluejags wrote:Beckford. He's like a new signing.

He'll never make it. Wink
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3890
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Mon 31 May 2010, 11:04 pm

He seems to be genuinly keen to play for us, which is massive. If the Yak is on the move, we needed a striker in and if we can get (a good) one in for free, the better. It'll be very interesting to see how he does. If he has a great work rate I can see Moyes even more willing to let the Yak go for a tidy sum.
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  MagicMike on Mon 31 May 2010, 11:49 pm

Do people think this signing will see the departure of one of the more senior forwards? If he's replacing anyone, I think it'll be Vaughan. Moyes must have a lot of faith in Beckford's ability if he's a replacement for Yakubu.
MagicMike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BB on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 3:33 am

I don't think Moyes will just bring Beckford in as first striker immidiately.
He also aquired Silva too, so we have some new strikers to throw in the mix, but we need to have a definite senior striker on hand or take a risk, and Moyes doesn't do risks. We're not forced to sell the Yak, or even Saha, but we must listen to any good offers that arise. Beckford is a good age, but he'll need to settle in before we can offload the others. I think he'll listen to any decent offers though for our senior players.
BB

Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2010-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sefton on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 8:43 am

jermaine beckford : not every one's cup of tea, but you got to give credit where its due,played for leeds over 100 times scoreing at least 85 goals,alot of complaints on other boards about how beckford is lazy like the yak or has a bad attitude,well wayne rooney has a bad attituce and no one complains?
so i say let moyes run the gaunlet on this up start or hell be out of the door be for he knows it.
sefton

Number of posts : 9296
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Balcony Blue on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 8:49 am

GRINGO wrote:jermaine beckford : not every one's cup of tea, but you got to give credit where its due,played for leeds over 100 times scoreing at least 85 goals,alot of complaints on other boards about how beckford is lazy like the yak or has a bad attitude,well wayne rooney has a bad attituce and no one complains?
so i say let moyes run the gaunlet on this up start or hell be out of the door be for he knows it.

He doesn't have a bad attitude IMO. He's a born winner and sometimes lets his will to win boil over. He's improved that a lot though.

As for Beckford, a lazy, cocky attitude won't get him anywhere at PL level so he'll know he'll have to put the work in if he wants to succeed.
Top Balcony Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sefton on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 8:51 am

Top Balcony Blue wrote:
GRINGO wrote:jermaine beckford : not every one's cup of tea, but you got to give credit where its due,played for leeds over 100 times scoreing at least 85 goals,alot of complaints on other boards about how beckford is lazy like the yak or has a bad attitude,well wayne rooney has a bad attituce and no one complains?

He doesn't have a bad attitude IMO. He's a born winner and sometimes lets his will to win boil over. He's improved that a lot though.

As for Beckford, a lazy, cocky attitude won't get him anywhere at PL level so he'll know he'll have to put the work in if he wants to succeed.

so kicking you boots off and throwing tantrums isn't having a bad attitude? my point was that beckford probably felt he could play at a higher standard than with the players he was with at leeds in a lower division,as for being lazy 85 goals in 100 odd games for leeds ? as its been already said on here if beckford gets 15 goals for a player on a free in his first season we will later benefit the rewards.
sefton

Number of posts : 9296
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 10:47 am

Give him the number 9 shirt.

Very Happy
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15248
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 11:02 am

GRINGO wrote:
Top Balcony Blue wrote:

so kicking you boots off and throwing tantrums isn't having a bad attitude? my point was that beckford probably felt he could play at a higher standard than with the players he was with at leeds in a lower division,as for being lazy 85 goals in 100 odd games for leeds ? as its been already said on here if beckford gets 15 goals for a player on a free in his first season we will later benefit the rewards.

Beckford is 26 he came late to professional football and he is still learning the game, I think he'll do well, and his move to Everton is all about seeing what he can personally achieve (lets face it, at his age its his last and only chance at the big time), if he does really well then I can see city or man u coming in for him and if he's on a four years, 1m a year contract, it will only cost them 4m to buy him out.

I reckon he'll start slowly and get maybe 15 goals in his first season, and build on that. I can see him being a 20 goal a season striker with the right training, don't forget he was scoring against shit keepers and shit defenses in League 1, so he's just taken a big step up and needs to work harder and be more accurate if he's going to make it in the Prem.
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25452
Registration date : 2005-10-14

View user profile http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top