18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phil Neville

Post  Super on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 10:06 am

Everton will wait until Monday morning to assess the full extent of Phil Neville's injury. The Blues' captain had to be stretchered off the field in the 77th minute following a challenge from Fulham's Dickson Etuhu. Everton's medical team revealed following the 2-1 defeat at Craven Cottage that Neville had sustained a bad cut to his left knee. Neville left London on crutches with the rest of his Everton team mates and will undergo a scan in the next 24 hours. Manager David Moyes said: "Phil has a gash in his knee." ďHe will travel home on the team bus and not have to go to hospital. We think itís okay. Iíve not had chance to speak to medical team yet." Ironically, Dickson Etuhu was a Preston North End player during Moyes' time at Deepdale. ďI know Dickson quite well and I donít think he is that kind of player," added the boss. "I think he was a bit late in getting there. It used to be the way of the world." ďIf thatís the way the ref is going to let the game go nowadays Iíd be delighted. But thatís not how it works in football these days. I thought it merited at least a free-kick and maybe a booking." ďI think we now have a rule if you tackle with your trailing leg coming through then itís a foul. That at least happened. It was missed. It was a bad miss by the referee."


Now would be a bad thing if Pip was to miss a couple of games, let Moyes have a bit of a re-shuffle in the middle of the park???
avatar
Super

Number of posts : 35971
Age : 39
Location : Peterborough
Registration date : 2005-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Cahill the Great on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 10:15 am

Super wrote:Everton will wait until Monday morning to assess the full extent of Phil Neville's injury. The Blues' captain had to be stretchered off the field in the 77th minute following a challenge from Fulham's Dickson Etuhu. Everton's medical team revealed following the 2-1 defeat at Craven Cottage that Neville had sustained a bad cut to his left knee. Neville left London on crutches with the rest of his Everton team mates and will undergo a scan in the next 24 hours. Manager David Moyes said: "Phil has a gash in his knee." ďHe will travel home on the team bus and not have to go to hospital. We think itís okay. Iíve not had chance to speak to medical team yet." Ironically, Dickson Etuhu was a Preston North End player during Moyes' time at Deepdale. ďI know Dickson quite well and I donít think he is that kind of player," added the boss. "I think he was a bit late in getting there. It used to be the way of the world." ďIf thatís the way the ref is going to let the game go nowadays Iíd be delighted. But thatís not how it works in football these days. I thought it merited at least a free-kick and maybe a booking." ďI think we now have a rule if you tackle with your trailing leg coming through then itís a foul. That at least happened. It was missed. It was a bad miss by the referee."


Now would be a bad thing if Pip was to miss a couple of games, let Moyes have a bit of a re-shuffle in the middle of the park???


The problem is - Moyes doesnt have an awful lot of options.

Options 1 -He can either move Osman inside - and give Bilyaledinoc RM

Option 2- stick Cahill and Fellaini in the middle again.

I think Heitenga in midfield would be waste and he badly needed in defense right now.
avatar
Cahill the Great

Number of posts : 3504
Age : 39
Location : London
Registration date : 2006-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  SouthernSmugToffee on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 10:21 am

When I saw the tackle on Neville first time it looked bad. But in slow motion it is x-certificate!! Etuhu went in studs first and caught Neville just below the knee (ouch). It should have been a free kick at the very least but the ref just played on.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/football-news/2009/09/13/everton-fc-boss-moyes-fumes-over-challenge-on-phil-neville-55578-24679563/

On replacing Neville at DM, Rodwell and Hetinga will be good candidates. We should pull Osman into the middle, where he plays better and play Gosling wide.
avatar
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3886
Age : 161
Location : Aldershot
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Top Balcony Blue on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 10:33 am

Dunno why Neville went in to the challenge tbh, could see it was gonna end in tears.
avatar
Top Balcony Blue

Number of posts : 9812
Age : 33
Location : EP/Chester
Registration date : 2005-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Tonteau on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 10:54 am

Top Balcony Blue wrote:Dunno why Neville went in to the challenge tbh, could see it was gonna end in tears.

Cos he's a professional footballer and never shirks his responsibility. If he'd pulled out, he's have had the people on his back, shouting "Fucking hell, Phil. Get stuck into them!!"
avatar
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15248
Age : 110
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  toffee_pies on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 11:02 am

Bigger problem will be AEK this thursday as Hibbo is banned for red card in last game and Heittenga is not available due to being cup tied until January.

Maybe put Gosling at RB, Ossie in the middle with Rodwell and Billy on the wing.
avatar
toffee_pies

Number of posts : 5080
Age : 42
Location : littleborough
Registration date : 2006-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Top Balcony Blue on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 11:34 am

Tonteau wrote:
Top Balcony Blue wrote:Dunno why Neville went in to the challenge tbh, could see it was gonna end in tears.

Cos he's a professional footballer and never shirks his responsibility. If he'd pulled out, he's have had the people on his back, shouting "Fucking hell, Phil. Get stuck into them!!"

he didn't need to make that tackle in the middle of the park just like he didn't need to barge into the players back on the edge of the box. i'm not questioning his desire or commitment, i just don't think he needed to go into the tackle... fuck what anyone thinks in the stands
avatar
Top Balcony Blue

Number of posts : 9812
Age : 33
Location : EP/Chester
Registration date : 2005-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Tonteau on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 11:53 am

Top Balcony Blue wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Top Balcony Blue wrote:Dunno why Neville went in to the challenge tbh, could see it was gonna end in tears.

Cos he's a professional footballer and never shirks his responsibility. If he'd pulled out, he's have had the people on his back, shouting "Fucking hell, Phil. Get stuck into them!!"

he didn't need to make that tackle in the middle of the park just like he didn't need to barge into the players back on the edge of the box. i'm not questioning his desire or commitment, i just don't think he needed to go into the tackle... fuck what anyone thinks in the stands

The barging into players on the edge of the area thing I agree with, but this was a 50/50 ball in the centre of the park, it's the kind of challenge our players need to contest. Both players got a piece of it, but one went in sliding on the floor and one went in studs first with both feet off the ground. You can't legislate for the shithouse raking his studs down neville's leg. I've seen neville challenge for that kind of ball plenty of times before and he's never got seriously hurt. It's just the player he is, he was never going to back out of that challenge.
avatar
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15248
Age : 110
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  The Griffin on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 12:30 pm

Top Balcony Blue wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Top Balcony Blue wrote:Dunno why Neville went in to the challenge tbh, could see it was gonna end in tears.

Cos he's a professional footballer and never shirks his responsibility. If he'd pulled out, he's have had the people on his back, shouting "Fucking hell, Phil. Get stuck into them!!"

he didn't need to make that tackle in the middle of the park just like he didn't need to barge into the players back on the edge of the box. i'm not questioning his desire or commitment, i just don't think he needed to go into the tackle... fuck what anyone thinks in the stands

or watching on the telly
avatar
The Griffin

Number of posts : 4994
Age : 57
Location : Here, there and everywhere
Registration date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Albert on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 1:11 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Top Balcony Blue wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Top Balcony Blue wrote:Dunno why Neville went in to the challenge tbh, could see it was gonna end in tears.

Cos he's a professional footballer and never shirks his responsibility. If he'd pulled out, he's have had the people on his back, shouting "Fucking hell, Phil. Get stuck into them!!"

he didn't need to make that tackle in the middle of the park just like he didn't need to barge into the players back on the edge of the box. i'm not questioning his desire or commitment, i just don't think he needed to go into the tackle... fuck what anyone thinks in the stands

The barging into players on the edge of the area thing I agree with, but this was a 50/50 ball in the centre of the park, it's the kind of challenge our players need to contest. Both players got a piece of it, but one went in sliding on the floor and one went in studs first with both feet off the ground. You can't legislate for the shithouse raking his studs down neville's leg. I've seen neville challenge for that kind of ball plenty of times before and he's never got seriously hurt. It's just the player he is, he was never going to back out of that challenge.

i think that ball was always 70/30 in etuhu's favour - he just got there first.

neville timed it all wrong and got hurt.
avatar
Albert

Number of posts : 15622
Age : 34
Location : Monaco
Registration date : 2006-08-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Diamond on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 2:38 pm



Last edited by Diamond on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Diamond

Number of posts : 1941
Age : 44
Location : London
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Cahill the Great on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 2:54 pm




Terrible news! I reckon 3 months minimum.
avatar
Cahill the Great

Number of posts : 3504
Age : 39
Location : London
Registration date : 2006-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Bluey on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:06 pm

That is just awful news.
avatar
Bluey

Number of posts : 23509
Age : 52
Location : Shropshire
Registration date : 2005-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Luka Perfect on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:12 pm

Cahill the Great wrote:



Terrible news! I reckon 3 months minimum.

Try 6 to 8 months and at 32 he may never play again
avatar
Luka Perfect

Number of posts : 7259
Age : 117
Location : Luton
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/seinfeld/tvindex.html

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Super on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:14 pm

Pass the armband to Distin then please Mr Moyes!!!
avatar
Super

Number of posts : 35971
Age : 39
Location : Peterborough
Registration date : 2005-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  hairy cataract on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:15 pm

Fucking fucked now aren't we? That's both our central defenders, our playmaker, our top scorer, and our captain all out for months or gone completely. Backs against the wall already and it's not even Autumn yet.

Imagine if the Shite lost this many players at once? Gerrard, Torres, Carra, Alsonso, and Kuyt for example, all out for six months or sold?

Dunno if you see it as a positive or a negative, but that could be the end of Neville as a first team regular. Can see him being offered a coaching position at the end of the season.
avatar
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 23530
Age : 111
Location : London
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Luka Perfect on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:20 pm

I have a feeling his season is over - the only positive will be if Rodwell and Gosling can step up to the mantle but a top 6 finish has now gone for us and our european campaign looks fragile
avatar
Luka Perfect

Number of posts : 7259
Age : 117
Location : Luton
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/seinfeld/tvindex.html

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:31 pm

Ruddy Perfect wrote:I have a feeling his season is over - the only positive will be if Rodwell and Gosling can step up to the mantle but a top 6 finish has now gone for us and our european campaign looks fragile
Top 6? More like top 12.
avatar
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 65700
Age : 44
Location : Denver, Colorado (via the west coast of Sweden)
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Luka Perfect on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:38 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Ruddy Perfect wrote:I have a feeling his season is over - the only positive will be if Rodwell and Gosling can step up to the mantle but a top 6 finish has now gone for us and our european campaign looks fragile
Top 6? More like top 12.

Don't be negative KOT
avatar
Luka Perfect

Number of posts : 7259
Age : 117
Location : Luton
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/seinfeld/tvindex.html

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Da Judge on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:42 pm

hairy cataract wrote:Fucking fucked now aren't we? That's both our central defenders, our playmaker, our top scorer, and our captain all out for months or gone completely. Backs against the wall already and it's not even Autumn yet.

Imagine if the Shite lost this many players at once? Gerrard, Torres, Carra, Alsonso, and Kuyt for example, all out for six months or sold?

Dunno if you see it as a positive or a negative, but that could be the end of Neville as a first team regular. Can see him being offered a coaching position at the end of the season.

TBH... I said exactly the same to Griff and BNM yesterday - when it happened. I would doubt he would be in contention for a regular first team place - assuming that the rest of the lads (and particularly the youngsters start to blossom). I would be very hopeful that as prt of his rehabilitation - he is getting his badges... because he will I think be a fantastic coach.

All best wishes for a speedy recovery Pip!!
avatar
Da Judge

Number of posts : 8440
Age : 56
Location : Hungary/Switzerland/Czech Republic/Ireland/US & UK
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Da Judge on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:46 pm

hairy cataract wrote:Fucking fucked now aren't we? That's both our central defenders, our playmaker, our top scorer, and our captain all out for months or gone completely. Backs against the wall already and it's not even Autumn yet.

Imagine if the Shite lost this many players at once? Gerrard, Torres, Carra, Alsonso, and Kuyt for example, all out for six months or sold?

Dunno if you see it as a positive or a negative, but that could be the end of Neville as a first team regular. Can see him being offered a coaching position at the end of the season.

To be fair the Shoite actually oinly need to lose 2 and all that applies... they are actually as weak as us in terms of depth.... they certainly have more options than we do with the respective squad sizes.... but blast the veneer away... and what is left is just as brittle...
avatar
Da Judge

Number of posts : 8440
Age : 56
Location : Hungary/Switzerland/Czech Republic/Ireland/US & UK
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Cahill the Great on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 3:56 pm

The likes of Peterlin, Arnoux and Garbutt will be asking for a new expensive pair of boots for Christmas because I can see all of them playing come January! affraid


This is shocking. We havent even see our injured players return before picking up even more injuries.
avatar
Cahill the Great

Number of posts : 3504
Age : 39
Location : London
Registration date : 2006-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Cahill the Great on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 4:00 pm

Super wrote:Pass the armband to Distin then please Mr Moyes!!!


No way! Cant have a sulky frenchman leading the team.

It has to be Cahill - fully deserves the armband after the graft he's put in over the past 5 years. I think he's the next best leader out there and has the 100% work ethic.
avatar
Cahill the Great

Number of posts : 3504
Age : 39
Location : London
Registration date : 2006-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Tonteau on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 4:03 pm

It's typical of our luck. But we just have to roll our sleeves up and get on with it. It's a real pity Pip is injured, though, cos he'd be the one getting stuck in most when we need to and that's what we'll have to do for the next couple of months.

I can see heitinga being played in Pip's role alongside Rodwell.
avatar
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15248
Age : 110
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Re: 18: Phil Neville - ex Captain Fantastic

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum