Premier League: Everton 0 QPR 1

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Premier League: Everton 0 QPR 1

Post  mindyerEnvelopeMister? on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:01 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
mindyerho? wrote:Arteta, Saha and Fella had almost no pre-season and just weren't themselves. Should have had ressies on the bench.

yeah it was painfully obvious when they came on that they were nowhere near ready. In hindsight he should have left Rodwell on, brought on Vellios rather than Saha and maybe Fellaini for just ten minutes as a last gamble

I hadn't noticed Rodwell at all Shocked but hell yeah, that could have worked as well as what we saw.
mindyerEnvelopeMister?

Number of posts : 17166
Registration date : 2006-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

mindyerho? wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
mindyerho? wrote:Arteta, Saha and Fella had almost no pre-season and just weren't themselves. Should have had ressies on the bench.

yeah it was painfully obvious when they came on that they were nowhere near ready. In hindsight he should have left Rodwell on, brought on Vellios rather than Saha and maybe Fellaini for just ten minutes as a last gamble

I hadn't noticed Rodwell at all Shocked but hell yeah, that could have worked as well as what we saw.

Rodwell was stuck out right trying to link up with Pip which by and large didnt work at all. Our difficulties in falling to impose ourselves in the first half was largely because of our lack of balance or threat out right. Cahill got sucked towards them leaving Beckford isolated upfront. Hard to know if Rodwell would have done any better in the middle. Certainly if you asked me between him and Barkley who was the 15m man out there, he wouldnt have 26 on his back.

Number of posts : 26846
Registration date : 2006-01-22

View user profile http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

Bluejags wrote:
mindyerho? wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Rodwell was stuck out right trying to link up with Pip which by and large didnt work at all. Our difficulties in falling to impose ourselves in the first half was largely because of our lack of balance or threat out right. Cahill got sucked towards them leaving Beckford isolated upfront. Hard to know if Rodwell would have done any better in the middle. Certainly if you asked me between him and Barkley who was the 15m man out there, he wouldnt have 26 on his back.

True. I think I was just clutching at straws there.
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 23647
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

The really frustrating thing is that after a shit week of Blue Union/BK/the-club's-going-bankrupt crap, we could have been back on the straight and narrow with a decent performance and 3 points against a bunch of Championship cloggers.
Armchair

Number of posts : 18514
Registration date : 2006-06-01

View user profile http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Sheep Flavour wrote:QPR are gash to.
We were the better team, not that we were great, but we were the better team. Not that it mattered much in the end though.
Honestly Thor.. we were shite
Not arguing we were not poor, but did you really think that QPR were better?
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 66076

View user profile http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

Long trip up to see the blues today. Team was wrong from the start. Midfield all over the shop. Rodwell looks more and more like a centre half every time I see him, much less a right midfielder. Heitinga, fuck me. We needed fellaini and arteta on from the start. Beckford is shit. Where's the Yak? Even a half fit, full of pies, disinterested Yak can hold the ball up better than that tit.

All our changes were to counter the errors in the initial starting line up which left us no room to bring on the likes of Vellios and try to mix it up a bit. We looked, in fairness, like a team who hadn't had a competetive match yet. Fucking rioters.

Fellaini was good when he came on, Arteta looks like he's the arteta of last season. Osman put in exactly the kind of performance that earns him his detractors. Rodders, dear me he's not a right winger. Cahill had his chances, but wasn't really involved. Heitinga, is just a glorified centre half. But largely they were victims of a system which didn't bring the best out of the team. Barkley was superb. Our best player was a 17 year old kid. How sad is that? The worrying thing is, though that against Blackburn 4 seasons back, a 17 year old Rodwell was our best player. And look at him now.

We'll be fine, but we need to settle on regular first team right now.
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15248
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:28 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
We were the better team, not that we were great, but we were the better team. Not that it mattered much in the end though.
No... not at all.. but we were shite albeit.. we have to put away this type of team ruthlessly & we looked knackered..

I just checked the stats for today & QPR have deffo got a scabby result here..

But... we were still shite !
Made 4 Gwladys

Number of posts : 33363

View user profile http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm

Also, anger and frustration from the fans really filtered down to the players. They looked nervous and scared to make a mistake. I fully understand it, but it's so counter-productive.
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:34 pm

hairy cataract wrote:Shane Long just scored against Chelsea. He showed strength, determination and skill. Fucking hell.

Not unlike Beckford's goal on last day of the season except that Long only had to start from half way.
Statman

Number of posts : 7039
Registration date : 2005-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:40 pm

Statman wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:Shane Long just scored against Chelsea. He showed strength, determination and skill. Fucking hell.

Not unlike Beckford's goal on last day of the season except that Long only had to start from half way.

And there weren't 6-7 lucky bobbles.
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:52 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
No... not at all.. but we were shite albeit.. we have to put away this type of team ruthlessly & we looked knackered..

I just checked the stats for today & QPR have deffo got a scabby result here..

But... we were still shite !
I agree we were not good at all, but I still think we were better than QPR. Not that it mattered much in the end though.
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

Shout from the match today. "Come on Everton, these actually are shite."
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:06 am

Tonteau wrote:Shout from the match today. "Come on Everton, these actually are shite."
What really gets me is that today would have been a perfect day to get going. Wew really don't need a lot of nervous vibes in the squad after what we have gone through in the last couple of days. A win would have put a lot of unrest to rest (if that makes sense), and made the team look upward, not looking behind their shoulder.

Such a lost opportunity in a game we should have won. Evil or Very Mad
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

I don't think anyone could really be surprised by the result. We are an OK, solidish side, but always concede at least once and really struggle to score. That means when we go behind in any game we are in big trouble.

I actually had yesterday as a 1-1 draw on my predictor sheet but once they had scored that sinking feeling came on very quickly and it was difficult to see where we were going to get a goal from.

I feel yesterday will be the story of our season, and we'll lose or draw too many home games against crap teams, with the odd good win if we manage to score first.

No money, so we won't be getting a decent striker before the window closes, so we are ripe for the taking. Oh well, it's Everton, what do we expect? At least it's not a season of hope, like last season was. I was gutted by our start last year as I really had high hopes. This season I expect to be bottom half for pretty much all the season, so no expectations to be dashed. I just hope we don't get sucked into a relegation battle as those days were horrible.

A gloomy but predictable day yesterday.
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 4766
Registration date : 2006-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal Blue Mersey on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

Looking at reports on the game and match analysis it doesn't seem that much has changed from last season.
We always struggle against the teams that go to GP not expecting to win.

They camp out with a defensive set-up and hope to nick a goal from a set piece or a defence cock-up.
Problem is we continue to be incapable of unpicking the defence, or even on the rare occasions a chance is made, putting it in the net.

Unfortunately the class of player that provides that streak of magic is beyond the budget of all but a handful of clubs.
So unfortunately we seem to stuck with the same stuff as we've had for years. It's called mid table mediocrity. Neutral
Royal Blue Mersey

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:10 pm

Sleeping on it & watching MOTD highlights again today..

1. It's a terrible result & there is no other way to describe it.. it would have been unnatural not to let off a little steam yesterday
2. They had 1 shot on & 1 off target.. they were scabby
3. We hit the bar with a Baines FK, Cahill missed a sitter, Rodders shot tamely at the keeper when clean through, we had a good shout for a pen turned down

All in all.. based on the play, possession & chances we SHOULD have won easily.. there will be games when we play really shit & create nothing & we will win.. we'll go to Citeh, Chavs or Spuds or Arse & get mullered possession & chance wise & come home with 3 (or 1) points..

So... stop fucking moaning & get behind the team.. Smile

COYB
Made 4 Gwladys

Number of posts : 33363

View user profile http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinchcliffe Corner on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:All in all.. based on the play, possession & chances we SHOULD have won easily...

De ja vu from the start of last season really, an inability to finish off games was our big downfall last year, and I'd have hoped that would have been the most important issue to address, but it would appear not, given yesterday's performance.
Hinchcliffe Corner

Number of posts : 2216
Registration date : 2006-01-27

View user profile http://www.phil-cooper.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

callmebubbles wrote:I don't think anyone could really be surprised by the result. We are an OK, solidish side, but always concede at least once and really struggle to score. That means when we go behind in any game we are in big trouble.

I actually had yesterday as a 1-1 draw on my predictor sheet but once they had scored that sinking feeling came on very quickly and it was difficult to see where we were going to get a goal from.

I feel yesterday will be the story of our season, and we'll lose or draw too many home games against crap teams, with the odd good win if we manage to score first.

No money, so we won't be getting a decent striker before the window closes, so we are ripe for the taking. Oh well, it's Everton, what do we expect? At least it's not a season of hope, like last season was. I was gutted by our start last year as I really had high hopes. This season I expect to be bottom half for pretty much all the season, so no expectations to be dashed. I just hope we don't get sucked into a relegation battle as those days were horrible.

I still maintain that Fellaini and Arteta from the start and we'd have won. Moyes set the team up wrong. I don't often criticise him, but I think he made a mistake yesterday. If they're fit enough for the bench, play them from the start. Midfield was where we lost the game, really.
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:Sleeping on it & watching MOTD highlights again today..

1. It's a terrible result & there is no other way to describe it.. it would have been unnatural not to let off a little steam yesterday
2. They had 1 shot on & 1 off target.. they were scabby
3. We hit the bar with a Baines FK, Cahill missed a sitter, Rodders shot tamely at the keeper when clean through, we had a good shout for a pen turned down

All in all.. based on the play, possession & chances we SHOULD have won easily.. there will be games when we play really shit & create nothing & we will win.. we'll go to Citeh, Chavs or Spuds or Arse & get mullered possession & chance wise & come home with 3 (or 1) points..

So... stop fucking moaning & get behind the team.. Smile

COYB

Pretty much agree, but we did not play well at all yesterday. Despite that we should have had a point at the very least. The furstration in the crowd really affected he players. Same as last season which is one reason why our home record was so poor. We need to toughen up and close these out. Once we start winning the crowd will settle down.
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

Royal Blue Mersey wrote:Looking at reports on the game and match analysis it doesn't seem that much has changed from last season.
We always struggle against the teams that go to GP not expecting to win.

They camp out with a defensive set-up and hope to nick a goal from a set piece or a defence cock-up.
Problem is we continue to be incapable of unpicking the defence, or even on the rare occasions a chance is made, putting it in the net.

Unfortunately the class of player that provides that streak of magic is beyond the budget of all but a handful of clubs.
So unfortunately we seem to stuck with the same stuff as we've had for years. It's called mid table mediocrity. Neutral

Yes, true, this is just like last season. And I think you're right about the class of player to solve our predicament being beyond all but a handful of clubs. Even if we chance upon a gem like that, he'll be gone with a season to one of the big (paying) clubs. Ultimately Villa couldn't keep hold of the likes of Milner, Young and Downing, nor could Blackpool keep hold of Adam, or Newcastle keep hold of Carroll - uh, no forget that example...

hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

Tonteau wrote:
callmebubbles wrote:I don't think anyone could really be surprised by the result. We are an OK, solidish side, but always concede at least once and really struggle to score. That means when we go behind in any game we are in big trouble.

I still maintain that Fellaini and Arteta from the start and we'd have won. Moyes set the team up wrong. I don't often criticise him, but I think he made a mistake yesterday. If they're fit enough for the bench, play them from the start. Midfield was where we lost the game, really.

Not sure about that. Both Fellaini and Arteta looked miles short of match-fitness, especially Fellaini. Assuming we keep hold of the big fella, and he can stay fit, I think he'll be a big influence over the next few months, but he isn't really a match-winner. That's what we're short of, as said above. Could Barkley be that match winner? Not really sure he looks that kind of player, but we really do need someone with a bit of inspiration and we simply don't have a player like that at the moment.
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:

Not sure about that. Both Fellaini and Arteta looked miles short of match-fitness, especially Fellaini. Assuming we keep hold of the big fella, and he can stay fit, I think he'll be a big influence over the next few months, but he isn't really a match-winner. That's what we're short of, as said above. Could Barkley be that match winner? Not really sure he looks that kind of player, but we really do need someone with a bit of inspiration and we simply don't have a player like that at the moment.

Depends what you mean by 'match winner'? He's not going to beat three guys and slot the ball home, but his presence on the pitch will certainly win us matches. Not sure how it looked on telly, but at the match we were short in midfield. Just couldn't get a grip on the match with ossie, heitinga and rodwell all looking suspect in possesion. When fellaini came on we held onto the ball much better and his confidence in possesion helped us launch more attcks. I don't think they'd have got a foothold in the game if we'd had the big belgian on from the start.
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

Tonteau wrote:

I'd have to disagree, at least when it comes to Fellaini. He showed very little, if any, desire nor pace out there. On two occasions he was offisde and it was down to pure laziness, inexuseable. He also looked like he was well off match fitness since his step was very slow.

Arteta tried but also seemed off his best. And why on earth did he take the freekick in a great spot in front of goal when Baines would have been the natural choice since he hit the cross bar earlier, and is the better taker anyway?
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  mindyerEnvelopeMister? on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

No MOTD here Very Happy but unbelievably Fox showed the whole game as their evening match. Still don't think Mo and Mik could have managed the whole game but had they started we might have been three up before they tired. Saha nowhere near fit, whereas Mo & Mik probably only a game or two away. With more positivity the rest of the team might have performed.

SO my considered opinion is that Moyesey tossed a coin on whether to start Mo & Mik and got it wrong. OTOH Barkley mightn't have got his chance to impress....

mindyerEnvelopeMister?

Number of posts : 17166
Registration date : 2006-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

Tonteau wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:

Depends what you mean by 'match winner'? He's not going to beat three guys and slot the ball home, but his presence on the pitch will certainly win us matches. Not sure how it looked on telly, but at the match we were short in midfield. Just couldn't get a grip on the match with ossie, heitinga and rodwell all looking suspect in possesion. When fellaini came on we held onto the ball much better and his confidence in possesion helped us launch more attcks. I don't think they'd have got a foothold in the game if we'd had the big belgian on from the start.

From the TV, we looked clearly unbalanced down the righthandside and light in the middle of the field. Neville needed someone comfortable in possession infront of him to compensate for his lack of forward ability but Rodwell looked like he was playing with zero confidence, thus making it incredibly laboured and easy to defend again, especially after QPR scored and played deeper. The team that finished should have been the team that started but we were not to know the levels of fitness of Tater/Felly/Saha. Also the situation had become so desperate and tense by then, none made any impact. Felly made a few neat touches but then coughed up possession, clearly not at the pace of the game. QPR were extremely disciplined and worked very hard to hold their lead which should be commended. We need to score 1st against teams like these then pick them off on the break.
Pat Nevin, was on co-commentary for Setanta Ireland made some good observations, especially the role given to Beckford as a target men, when it is obvious to everyone he has none of the attributes to play that role.

Number of posts : 26846
Registration date : 2006-01-22

View user profile http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top