ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Helenqu on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 7:21 am

avatar
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4853
Age : 54
Location : Hatfield, Herts.
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  The President on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 9:25 am

Helenqu wrote:Another fan perspective on Bobby M

http://footyscene.com/martinez-man-engulfed-everton-jamie-davies/

Good Read ..thanks helen
avatar
The President

Number of posts : 11341
Age : 57
Registration date : 2005-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Doc( Ninetoes )blue on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:23 pm

Had to chuckle about this "He said: "Steven took a knock and had delayed concussion. He felt fine initially and was then dizzy. He couldn't remember that he scored - so I told him he scored from 40 yards.
avatar
Doc( Ninetoes )blue

Number of posts : 2806
Age : 41
Location : Germany
Registration date : 2005-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  mindyercarMister? on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:54 pm

Doc( Ninetoes )blue wrote:Had to chuckle about this "He said: "Steven took a knock and had delayed concussion. He felt fine initially and was then dizzy. He couldn't remember that he scored - so I told him he scored from 40 yards.

 lol! 
avatar
mindyercarMister?

Number of posts : 17058
Age : 951
Location : 3rd floor, or 2nd to you...
Registration date : 2006-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Blue gazza on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:12 am

Doc( Ninetoes )blue wrote:Had to chuckle about this "He said: "Steven took a knock and had delayed concussion. He felt fine initially and was then dizzy. He couldn't remember that he scored - so I told him he scored from 40 yards.

brilliant, i could never imagine the ginger one doing that.
avatar
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 6754
Age : 56
Location : runcorn
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:42 pm

Doc( Ninetoes )blue wrote:Had to chuckle about this "He said: "Steven took a knock and had delayed concussion. He felt fine initially and was then dizzy. He couldn't remember that he scored - so I told him he scored from 40 yards.
That's fantastic!  cheers cheers lol! lol! lol! 
avatar
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 65769
Age : 44
Location : Denver, Colorado (via the west coast of Sweden)
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Yankthattoffee on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

The Spaniard was frustrated by an incident in Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Arsenal which saw the Toffees, with Gunners midfielder Mikel Arteta on the turf claiming he was injured following a tackle from Seamus Coleman, opt to kick the ball out even though referee Mark Clattenburg had allowed play to continue.
Martinez does not want his "fair" team emulating the antics of Arteta, who appeared to be unhurt, but is keen for them to learn from the episode.
"It was a frustrating moment for me," Martinez, quoted by the Liverpool Echo, said.
"It's not that we're too nice, it's that we're a fair team. It's important for us, though, to identity when people are playing with that and trying to take advantage.
"We just need to make sure it doesn't cost us. I don't care about us using it but we need to know how not to get disadvantaged by it.
"I'll never compromise what we represent in terms of winning games. But if you have a player that wants to lay on the pitch and moan to the referee we shouldn't stop the game. Mikel used that to his advantage and we need to be aware of that.
"We should punish that sort of reaction and behaviour with penetrating football and using the players we have on the pitch. It's a lesson to be learned. But it's a learning curve."
avatar
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 5781
Age : 64
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:16 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:The Spaniard was frustrated by an incident in Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Arsenal which saw the Toffees, with Gunners midfielder Mikel Arteta on the turf claiming he was injured following a tackle from Seamus Coleman, opt to kick the ball out even though referee Mark Clattenburg had allowed play to continue.
Martinez does not want his "fair" team emulating the antics of Arteta, who appeared to be unhurt, but is keen for them to learn from the episode.
"It was a frustrating moment for me," Martinez, quoted by the Liverpool Echo, said.
"It's not that we're too nice, it's that we're a fair team. It's important for us, though, to identity when people are playing with that and trying to take advantage.
"We just need to make sure it doesn't cost us. I don't care about us using it but we need to know how not to get disadvantaged by it.
"I'll never compromise what we represent in terms of winning games. But if you have a player that wants to lay on the pitch and moan to the referee we shouldn't stop the game. Mikel used that to his advantage and we need to be aware of that.
"We should punish that sort of reaction and behaviour with penetrating football and using the players we have on the pitch. It's a lesson to be learned. But it's a learning curve."
my take on this ... taken from the match thread was....

Spoiler:

Made FooFoo Gwladys wrote:what a soft cunt Arteta is Very Happy 
avatar
Made 4 Gwladys

Number of posts : 33061
Age : 58
Location : between tax havens
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  mindyercarMister? on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 3:22 pm

Made FooFoo Gwladys wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:The Spaniard was frustrated by an incident in Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Arsenal which saw the Toffees, with Gunners midfielder Mikel Arteta on the turf claiming he was injured following a tackle from Seamus Coleman, opt to kick the ball out even though referee Mark Clattenburg had allowed play to continue.
Martinez does not want his "fair" team emulating the antics of Arteta, who appeared to be unhurt, but is keen for them to learn from the episode.
"It was a frustrating moment for me," Martinez, quoted by the Liverpool Echo, said.
"It's not that we're too nice, it's that we're a fair team. It's important for us, though, to identity when people are playing with that and trying to take advantage.
"We just need to make sure it doesn't cost us. I don't care about us using it but we need to know how not to get disadvantaged by it.
"I'll never compromise what we represent in terms of winning games. But if you have a player that wants to lay on the pitch and moan to the referee we shouldn't stop the game. Mikel used that to his advantage and we need to be aware of that.
"We should punish that sort of reaction and behaviour with penetrating football and using the players we have on the pitch. It's a lesson to be learned. But it's a learning curve."
my take on this ... taken from the match thread was....

Spoiler:

Made FooFoo Gwladys wrote:what a soft cunt Arteta is Very Happy 

extra adjective there. 'soft' is redundant. On saturday he was just a cunt
avatar
mindyercarMister?

Number of posts : 17058
Age : 951
Location : 3rd floor, or 2nd to you...
Registration date : 2006-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

mindyerho? wrote:
Made FooFoo Gwladys wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:The Spaniard was frustrated by an incident in Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Arsenal which saw the Toffees, with Gunners midfielder Mikel Arteta on the turf claiming he was injured following a tackle from Seamus Coleman, opt to kick the ball out even though referee Mark Clattenburg had allowed play to continue.
Martinez does not want his "fair" team emulating the antics of Arteta, who appeared to be unhurt, but is keen for them to learn from the episode.
"It was a frustrating moment for me," Martinez, quoted by the Liverpool Echo, said.
"It's not that we're too nice, it's that we're a fair team. It's important for us, though, to identity when people are playing with that and trying to take advantage.
"We just need to make sure it doesn't cost us. I don't care about us using it but we need to know how not to get disadvantaged by it.
"I'll never compromise what we represent in terms of winning games. But if you have a player that wants to lay on the pitch and moan to the referee we shouldn't stop the game. Mikel used that to his advantage and we need to be aware of that.
"We should punish that sort of reaction and behaviour with penetrating football and using the players we have on the pitch. It's a lesson to be learned. But it's a learning curve."
my take on this ... taken from the match thread was....

Spoiler:

Made FooFoo Gwladys wrote:what a soft cunt Arteta is Very Happy 

extra adjective there. 'soft' is redundant. On saturday he was just a cunt

Bit extreme. He's just a modern day footballer.

On second thoughts, perhaps you're right then.
avatar
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 3252
Age : 40
Location : Lima, Peru
Registration date : 2005-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  The President on Fri 14 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm

Roberto Martinez's side are six points better off than at the same stage of last season.
avatar
The President

Number of posts : 11341
Age : 57
Registration date : 2005-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:32 pm

The President wrote:Roberto Martinez's side are six points better off than at the same stage of last season.
And they lost their best players.
Spoiler:
Granted they play worse teams this season.  Laughing 
avatar
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 65769
Age : 44
Location : Denver, Colorado (via the west coast of Sweden)
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  The President on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:53 am

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
The President wrote:Roberto Martinez's side are six points better off than at the same stage of last season.
And they lost their best players.
Spoiler:
Granted they play worse teams this season.  Laughing 

 lol! 

I meant us Everton   
avatar
The President

Number of posts : 11341
Age : 57
Registration date : 2005-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

The President wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
The President wrote:Roberto Martinez's side are six points better off than at the same stage of last season.
And they lost their best players.
Spoiler:
Granted they play worse teams this season.  Laughing 

 lol! 

I meant us Everton   
 Laughing Oh, OK.  cheers 
avatar
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 65769
Age : 44
Location : Denver, Colorado (via the west coast of Sweden)
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  mindyercarMister? on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm

avatar
mindyercarMister?

Number of posts : 17058
Age : 951
Location : 3rd floor, or 2nd to you...
Registration date : 2006-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  The President on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 2:25 pm



Anyway, at one end of Goodison Park, I chipped a ball toward the goal as we were jogging towards the tunnel and it clipped the top of the crossbar before hitting a huge fella, who was walking down the stairs, squarely on the cheek.

If I’d had another 1,000 attempts, I don’t think I could do it again
Rather than kicking off, he looked up, clocked me with my hand in the air and stuck two thumbs up over his head while wearing a huge grin. It was meant to be. If I’d had another 1,000 attempts, I don’t think I could do it again. He endeared me to Everton fans after that.

  
avatar
The President

Number of posts : 11341
Age : 57
Registration date : 2005-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 11:14 pm

Cheers for posting that link. A great read.    
avatar
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 65769
Age : 44
Location : Denver, Colorado (via the west coast of Sweden)
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Yankthattoffee on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 11:56 am

RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP. Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )


"Martinez believes referees should be given some leeway in terms of the errors they make and does not believe new rules should be introduced to make greater user of technology.
"I wouldn't think you should put something in place if that happens again because it is so rare and I think at that moment the referee was completely sure," said the Toffees boss.
"I think we would be going a little bit too far. I think goalline technology was a really important breakthrough but from that point on I think we need to allow referees to do their job.
"I am sure in that incident he would have listened to the players and listened to the fourth official to try to get some help, but you need to be strong.
"Andre Marriner has incredible experience and it was one of those situations that happens in football.
"We have an elite group (of referees) in our league and for me it is one of the best in world football.
"We need to increase that group and help them have good training and development but we need to let them get on with their job.
"Errors are part of the game and there will be errors, misjudgments and mistakes but that is part of football and you need to accept it because that is what makes football what it is.
"It should be part of the game. It is not a black and white decision at times, it is a little bit more of interpretation.
"I think we need to rely on the referees and I think the referees in this country are as good as they get."
In Saturday's incident Oxlade-Chamberlain tried to tell Marriner he was the guilty party but the referee stuck to his original decision to send off Gibbs.
Martinez said that was a good rather than bad example of the relationship between players and referees.
"I think there is a really good relationship and referees are the ones to praise in that respect," he added.
"I've seen a lot of leagues around the world and referees don't want to be seen to be talking to the players because they think it means they lose power.
"I think the relationship in the British game is as good as it gets in world football maybe because the referee can trust the players a bit more.
avatar
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 5781
Age : 64
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

_________________
Snitchy, snitchy.
avatar
Barry Horne's Equaliser

Number of posts : 13067
Age : 39
Location : Rugby
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  hairy cataract on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:28 pm

Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

This is true. As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.
avatar
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 23546
Age : 111
Location : London
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  SouthernSmugToffee on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

hairberto cataract wrote:
Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

This is true.  As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.

Taxi for Marriner!   
avatar
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3890
Age : 161
Location : Aldershot
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Yankthattoffee on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

hairberto cataract wrote:
Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

This is true.  As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.
I feel a barroom brawl is around the corner here.
So, taking the Suarez WC incident, if a player thinks the ball is likely to cross the line, and it's late on, he should handle the ball, take the red, but then appeal if, later, it can be proved the ball would not have crossed the line? Either way you've given away a penalty, but with a possible get-out clause which allows you to play the next game.
Ox should get a red, appeal and lose so he can't play at GP.
The law should be interpreted that may, using the often abused Gobshyte clause.
avatar
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 5781
Age : 64
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  hairy cataract on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
hairberto cataract wrote:
Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

This is true.  As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.
I feel a barroom brawl is around the corner here.
So, taking the Suarez WC incident, if a player thinks the ball is likely to cross the line, and it's late on, he should handle the ball, take the red, but then appeal if, later, it can be proved the ball would not have crossed the line?  Either way you've given away a penalty, but with a possible get-out clause which allows you to play the next game.
Ox should get a red, appeal and lose so he can't play at GP.
The law should be interpreted that may, using the often abused Gobshyte clause.

The real punishment is going to down to ten men - the lesser part of the punishment is the suspension cos you can bring another player in for the next match and, in the case of the Sky clubs, they have no shortage of players in their squad. I think, to make it interesting, if a player gets a red card for denying a goalscoring opporunity, he should wait in a holding area and, if the team score from the resulting free kick or penno, he should be allowed back on. If they miss, he gets an early bath. Be great - say it was us against the Shite and Suarez bit Doris the tea lady in the first minute, would we be better off missing the penno so that he stayed off the pitch, or scoring the penno and him coming back on?
avatar
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 23546
Age : 111
Location : London
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Armchair on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm

hairberto cataract wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
hairberto cataract wrote:
Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

This is true.  As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.
I feel a barroom brawl is around the corner here.
So, taking the Suarez WC incident, if a player thinks the ball is likely to cross the line, and it's late on, he should handle the ball, take the red, but then appeal if, later, it can be proved the ball would not have crossed the line?  Either way you've given away a penalty, but with a possible get-out clause which allows you to play the next game.
Ox should get a red, appeal and lose so he can't play at GP.
The law should be interpreted that may, using the often abused Gobshyte clause.

The real punishment is going to down to ten men - the lesser part of the punishment is the suspension cos you can bring another player in for the next match and, in the case of the Sky clubs, they have no shortage of players in their squad.  I think, to make it interesting, if a player gets a red card for denying a goalscoring opporunity, he should wait in a holding area and, if the team score from the resulting free kick or penno, he should be allowed back on.  If they miss, he gets an early bath.  Be great - say it was us against the Shite and Suarez bit Doris the tea lady in the first minute, would we be better off missing the penno so that he stayed off the pitch, or scoring the penno and him coming back on?

We'd lose regardless of whether he was on the pitch or not  No 
avatar
Armchair

Number of posts : 18382
Age : 37
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2006-06-01

View user profile http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
hairberto cataract wrote:
Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

This is true.  As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.
I feel a barroom brawl is around the corner here.
So, taking the Suarez WC incident, if a player thinks the ball is likely to cross the line, and it's late on, he should handle the ball, take the red, but then appeal if, later, it can be proved the ball would not have crossed the line?  Either way you've given away a penalty, but with a possible get-out clause which allows you to play the next game.
Ox should get a red, appeal and lose so he can't play at GP.
The law should be interpreted that may, using the often abused Gobshyte clause.

  

Red cards are overturned all the time if there are grounds for that to be the case.

If a player thinks that the ball is going to cross the line and they are wrong, then they've given away a completely needless penalty which is easily sufficient punishment in my opinion. His loss of bearings has cost his team by virtue of the penalty he's conceded. To send him off as well is excessive and, to the best of my knowledge, does not even form part of the laws of the game - it's nothing to do with interpretation; the rules say you have to be preventing a goalscoring opportunity in order to earn a red card, and he wasn't. Deliberate handball is a bookable offence so Oxlade Chamberlain should have been booked and no more.

I don't really understand your comparison with the Suarez incident to be honest. He should have been sent off and any attempts of the Ghanaians to break his cock ignored. I'm pretty sure that's in the laws of the game too.

_________________
Snitchy, snitchy.
avatar
Barry Horne's Equaliser

Number of posts : 13067
Age : 39
Location : Rugby
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum