9. Arouna Kone - the curse of the 9 shirt and a bad haircut

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 9. Arouna Kone - the curse of the 9 shirt and a bad haircut

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Wed 12 Aug 2015, 4:32 pm

error 404 wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:
Tonteau wrote:A season late, but the CoK campaign is finally working. Top of our goals and assists charts right now.
COK cheers
Laughing a cok from James May for every open goal missed by Kone
Made 4 Gwladys

Number of posts : 32769
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 8:30 am

Arouna Kone's return to form is set to earn him a new contract at Everton. The Ivory Coast striker was Roberto Martinez's first signing as Goodison gaffer after he spent £6million to bring him from Wigan when he took over two years ago. A recurrence of knee problems restricted hike to seven Premier League starts last season and left his future in the balance. But Kone, 31, has turned his career around this term, with a string of impressive displays. And Blues bosses have indicated they are now ready to sit down and discuss a 12-month extension to his current deal, which runs out in June.
Super

Number of posts : 35802
Registration date : 2005-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 9:13 am

Super wrote:Arouna Kone's return to form is set to earn him a new contract at Everton.  The Ivory Coast striker was Roberto Martinez's first signing as Goodison gaffer after he spent £6million to bring him from Wigan when he took over two years ago.  A recurrence of knee problems restricted hike to seven Premier League starts last season and left his future in the balance.  But Kone, 31, has turned his career around this term, with a string of impressive displays.  And Blues bosses have indicated they are now ready to sit down and discuss a 12-month extension to his current deal, which runs out in June.

He's doing ok so this is probably sensible, provided the wages aren't too high.
Armchair

Number of posts : 18151
Registration date : 2006-06-01

View user profile http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 10:02 am

Armchair wrote:
Super wrote:Arouna Kone's return to form is set to earn him a new contract at Everton.  The Ivory Coast striker was Roberto Martinez's first signing as Goodison gaffer after he spent £6million to bring him from Wigan when he took over two years ago.  A recurrence of knee problems restricted hike to seven Premier League starts last season and left his future in the balance.  But Kone, 31, has turned his career around this term, with a string of impressive displays.  And Blues bosses have indicated they are now ready to sit down and discuss a 12-month extension to his current deal, which runs out in June.

a couple of decent games in 2 years... I'd rather see Henen or Leandro play

...sorry but he's old & shite.... bin him
Made 4 Gwladys

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 2:47 pm

Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

He should give us a year for free, the fucking sick-note. He's cost the club a forune and has hardly kicked a ball.
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 23368

View user profile http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 4:29 pm

hairberto cataract wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

He should give us a year for free, the fucking sick-note.  He's cost the club a forune and has hardly kicked a ball.

Agree on both.
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18305
Registration date : 2005-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 3:32 pm

Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

He should give us a year for free, the fucking sick-note.  He's cost the club a forune and has hardly kicked a ball.

Agree on both.
Hat trick for Ice Cream Kone
Made 4 Gwladys

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:58 pm

While on the subject of Kone, I wonder if he'll be rocking Arouna the Christmas tree this year?
Super

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 7:59 am

Super wrote:While on the subject of Kone, I wonder if he'll be rocking Arouna the Christmas tree this year?
cheers cheers
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25285
Registration date : 2005-10-14

View user profile http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  KoelJagz on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 9:33 am

Im shocked he's played 35 games already!

Number of posts : 26764
Registration date : 2006-01-22

View user profile http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:53 pm

Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

I suppose writing with the full benefit of hindsight.... the points made - "he is old and shit" and a "perpetual sick note" could be classed as knee jerk. He is certainly older than most in the squad, but to be honest he is clearly building a rapport with Lukaku. As regards giving us a year for free, well given that we are all expectant of being treated equally under law, I am not sure anyone of us would relish the thought that being on the sick for a year (for something aggravated through the course of employment) would mean that your return to duty is on pro bono basis.

I do think we are getting used to him (and him us)..... I do sense that he knows we have been very patient with him... and I guess that none of us ever truly realised just how serious the initial injury was. It does show an immense character to return the way he has, he has earned the right to continue service as a result. By all accounts he was really diligent in fully playing his part in getting to full recovery. You can compare his approach to the alleged approach of an LFC starlet who unlike a former colleague (who was known to have played for LFC with a broken leg) must be 100% perfect to be considered for a match appearance. It is apparently getting to be very frustrating over there - his attitude is not as wholesome as the club would have us think.
Da Judge

Number of posts : 8349
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:06 pm

Da Judge wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

I suppose writing with the full benefit of hindsight.... the points made - "he is old and shit" and a "perpetual sick note" could be classed as knee jerk. He is certainly older than most in the squad, but to be honest he is clearly building a rapport with Lukaku. As regards giving us a year for free, well given that we are all expectant of being treated equally under law, I am not sure anyone of us would relish the thought that being on the sick for a year (for something aggravated through the course of employment) would mean that your return to duty is on pro bono basis.

I do think we are getting used to him (and him us)..... I do sense that he knows we have been very patient with him... and I guess that none of us ever truly realised just how serious the initial injury was. It does show an immense character to return the way he has, he has earned the right to continue service as a result. By all accounts he was really diligent in fully playing his part in getting to full recovery. You can compare his approach to the alleged approach of an LFC starlet who unlike a former colleague (who was known to have played for LFC with a broken leg) must be 100% perfect to be considered for a match appearance. It is apparently getting to be very frustrating over there - his attitude is not as wholesome as the club would have us think.
...but does anyone have him in their fantasy team?
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 5688
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
Da Judge wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

...but does anyone have him in their fantasy team?

A Shite-supporting colleague of mine did, but I talked him out of it. Laughing

Number of posts : 12962

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:40 pm

Da Judge wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

yeah yeah yeah but it's going to take more than a hat-trick against Sunderland to re-classify him as anything other than a very expensive mistake.  When we signed him, I thought it wasn't a bad idea, he seemed to be a decent footballer who knew where the goal was, but he has been a complete waste of money so far.  Even if he does manage to stay fit, stay in the team, and score a few goals, he's past his prime and we won't get much more out of him.

Personally, I'd feel embarrassed if I took a job on a salary of £5m a year and then was off sick, pulling in full pay, for a year.   These things happen, but this is football.  We're allowed to hurl abuse at these overpaid sicknotes, that's the deal.
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:47 pm

Da Judge wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

yeah yeah yeah but it's going to take more than a hat-trick against Sunderland to re-classify him as anything other than a very expensive mistake.  When we signed him, I thought it wasn't a bad idea, he seemed to be a decent footballer who knew where the goal was, but he has been a complete waste of money so far.  Even if he does manage to stay fit, stay in the team, and score a few goals, he's past his prime and we won't get much more out of him.

Personally, I'd feel embarrassed if I took a job on a salary of £5m a year and then was off sick, pulling in full pay, for a year.   These things happen, but this is football.  We're allowed to hurl abuse at these overpaid sicknotes, that's the deal.

I didn't say he should not be embarrassed Smile - that said the attitude he has displayed and that of the RS player is actually miles apart.... I am aware of a conversation between Rodgers and others where he was very open about it....
Da Judge

Number of posts : 8349

View user profile http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 7:44 pm

Arouna Kone has triggered a 12-month extension to his Everton contract by playing in the 6-2 win against Sunderland.

The Ivorian striker took not only a new deal from the game but also the match ball after hitting a hat-trick in a superb win for the Toffees, who move to eighth in the Premier League as a result.

The goals treble Kone's tally for the club but the more vital statistic is the fact that they came in his 35th appearance for the club, a threshold which activates another year on the Goodison Park playing staff.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez was full of praise for hat-trick hero and the way he has battled back from injury to have an impact for the Merseysiders.

"His springboard was in the opening game of the season against Watford," said Martinez.

"He had awful luck with an injury which was career threatening at one point. It became very difficult and then in that season he never got the match fitness that he needed.

"I thought when he came on as a substitute against Watford he showed he could help the team and that he was himself it was an incredible turning point for him.

"From that point on we've seen a very strong footballer."

Martinez added: "It was a really tough injury and I have seen players retiring from that. He got fit but then had a period of getting back to match fitness but no one at the training ground ever lost faith in him. He is a very important player for us."

Super

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 1:44 pm

Super wrote:
Arouna Kone has triggered a 12-month extension to his Everton contract by playing in the 6-2 win against Sunderland.

The Ivorian striker took not only a new deal from the game but also the match ball after hitting a hat-trick in a superb win for the Toffees, who move to eighth in the Premier League as a result.

The goals treble Kone's tally for the club but the more vital statistic is the fact that they came in his 35th appearance for the club, a threshold which activates another year on the Goodison Park playing staff.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez was full of praise for hat-trick hero and the way he has battled back from injury to have an impact for the Merseysiders.

"His springboard was in the opening game of the season against Watford," said Martinez.

"He had awful luck with an injury which was career threatening at one point. It became very difficult and then in that season he never got the match fitness that he needed.

"I thought when he came on as a substitute against Watford he showed he could help the team and that he was himself it was an incredible turning point for him.

"From that point on we've seen a very strong footballer."

Martinez added: "It was a really tough injury and I have seen players retiring from that. He got fit but then had a period of getting back to match fitness but no one at the training ground ever lost faith in him. He is a very important player for us."

WTF... so there was a clause that said if he could manage 35 appearances he could have another year, regardless of whether it took him 2 and a half years to reach it.
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 3186
Registration date : 2005-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 1:51 pm

Da Judge wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

Is he really on £5m per year?
Statman

Number of posts : 6908
Registration date : 2005-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 1:54 pm

Statman wrote:
Da Judge wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

I certainly hope not. Maybe a quarter of that?
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:02 pm

Statman wrote:
Da Judge wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Mori Foo Gwladys wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Agree on both.

I certainly hope not. Maybe a quarter of that?

Phew. Anyway you'll learn to love him like you did with Fellaini.
Statman

Number of posts : 6908
Registration date : 2005-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:54 pm

You have to admire Kone. He's been bombarded with negatives and abuse for most of his time here. He's had the odd Standing O, but it still takes an inner strength to go out knowing any wrong move will be pilloried. I admire the guy, and I think he's going to be a valuable asset this year. He does the simple things well, and knows the game.

btw what was his goal celebration about?

Then there's George Green..............

Former Everton ‘wonder kid’ George Green has been released by Oldham Athletic by mutual consent.

The midfielder arrived at Goodison Park to great fanfare in 2011 as a 15-year-old with the Blues paying his local club Bradford City an initial £300,000 for his services in a deal that could have eventually been worth up to £2million.

At the time Archie Christie, the head at football development at Bradford, believed that the sky was the limit for Green and declared: “This is one of the highest deals ever for a 15-year-old from a League Two club. But George is the best I’ve seen in his position at his age. He could become another Wayne Rooney or Paul Gascoigne.”

Christie – a larger-than-life Scot who died in January 2014 – said to the ECHO after he joined: “I told him about my pals Duncan Ferguson and Neville Southall. I told him they’ve got a great manager who gives young players a chance.

“Everton are not going to go out and spend £50m on a foreigner, they will spend two or three years developing you,’ I said.

“Look at Wayne Rooney and Jack Rodwell. Even the boy now Ross Barkley. Everton won’t go and spend £18m on an English midfielder from another club like Jordan Henderson.

“I told him that if he works hard and shows what he’s capable of he could be in their first team frame in two or three years.”
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 5688
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 12:09 pm

I'm with the yank on this one, I like Kone. No one wants to be injured and not play but to be out for so long and come back to show glimpses of the kind of form he has shows a lot of determination and hard work has gone into it. He does the basics well, he works hard and he generally makes good decisions. He also seems to get the best of ok Lukaku, which is a great characteristic to have.

Tonteau

Number of posts : 15246

View user profile http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 1:53 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:You have to admire Kone. He's been bombarded with negatives and abuse for most of his time here. He's had the odd Standing O, but it still takes an inner strength to go out knowing any wrong move will be pilloried. I admire the guy, and I think he's going to be a valuable asset this year. He does the simple things well, and knows the game.

btw what was his goal celebration about?

Then there's George Green..............

Former Everton ‘wonder kid’ George Green has been released by Oldham Athletic by mutual consent.

The midfielder arrived at Goodison Park to great fanfare in 2011 as a 15-year-old with the Blues paying his local club Bradford City an initial £300,000 for his services in a deal that could have eventually been worth up to £2million.

At the time Archie Christie, the head at football development at Bradford, believed that the sky was the limit for Green and declared: “This is one of the highest deals ever for a 15-year-old from a League Two club. But George is the best I’ve seen in his position at his age. He could become another Wayne Rooney or Paul Gascoigne.”

Christie – a larger-than-life Scot who died in January 2014 – said to the ECHO after he joined: “I told him about my pals Duncan Ferguson and Neville Southall. I told him they’ve got a great manager who gives young players a chance.

“Everton are not going to go out and spend £50m on a foreigner, they will spend two or three years developing you,’ I said.

“Look at Wayne Rooney and Jack Rodwell. Even the boy now Ross Barkley. Everton won’t go and spend £18m on an English midfielder from another club like Jordan Henderson.

“I told him that if he works hard and shows what he’s capable of he could be in their first team frame in two or three years.”

Iassumed it was some Halloween bollocks. Looked a bit like a zombie. Either that or he was saying 'I know I'm old and my body is broken'?
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 3186
Registration date : 2005-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 11:37 am

Happy birthday Arouna, hope you have a good one!

Happy Birthday
Super

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 12:16 pm

47 today Happy Birthday
Armchair

Number of posts : 18151
Registration date : 2006-06-01