Romelu Lukaku - Chelsea's loss (for this season)

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Romelu Lukaku - Chelsea's loss (for this season)

Post  Statman on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Bluejagz wrote:Or ban the agreement that prevent players playing against their parent club.
Didn't we cause this? I have a recollection of not playing someone against Man Utd. A "gentleman's agreement", not contractual so no action could be taken. I don't know if that was common or not.
Tim Howard.
After we bought him, DM rested him in the next Man Yoo game.  Gentleman's agreement?
SAF and DM denied it, as they would have fallen foul of FA rules, so there was a hasty respeak.
In April 2007, Everton faced Manchester United at Goodison Park. Howard did not participate in the game, and there was some speculation that this came from a clause in his loan contract, even though a permanent deal had since been agreed. The Football Association investigated the allegation but found that neither Manchester United nor Everton had broken any rules regarding Howard's transfer and that both clubs had confirmed that Everton had been free to play Howard against Manchester United if they had wished to do so.
That was this game...

Do you mean another of our many losses to United.
Statman

Number of posts : 6940
Registration date : 2005-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:31 pm

Statman wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Bluejagz wrote:Or ban the agreement that prevent players playing against their parent club.
Didn't we cause this? I have a recollection of not playing someone against Man Utd. A "gentleman's agreement", not contractual so no action could be taken. I don't know if that was common or not.
Tim Howard.
After we bought him, DM rested him in the next Man Yoo game.  Gentleman's agreement?
SAF and DM denied it, as they would have fallen foul of FA rules, so there was a hasty respeak.
In April 2007, Everton faced Manchester United at Goodison Park. Howard did not participate in the game, and there was some speculation that this came from a clause in his loan contract, even though a permanent deal had since been agreed. The Football Association investigated the allegation but found that neither Manchester United nor Everton had broken any rules regarding Howard's transfer and that both clubs had confirmed that Everton had been free to play Howard against Manchester United if they had wished to do so.
That was this game...

I remember I was on holiday getting text updates from Magic Mike for that one. " 2-0! Manny just scored the best goal ever"
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15247
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:53 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Statman wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Tim Howard.
That was this game...

I remember I was on holiday getting text updates from Magic Mike for that one. " 2-0! Manny just scored the best goal ever"
I was watching it on Sky and remember running round the house making a bit of noise but as ever...............
Statman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:18 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Statman wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Tim Howard.
That was this game...

Who was our goalie that day?
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 5755
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:21 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Statman wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Tim Howard.
That was this game...

Wasn't it Ian Turner?
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:48 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Statman wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Tim Howard.
That was this game...

Wasn't it Ian Turner?
Yep
Statman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:51 pm

Statman wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Statman wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Tim Howard.
That was this game...

Wasn't it Ian Turner?
Yep
Was also the week Alan Ball died, 2-0 up and relatively safe. Turner dropped an easy ball, O'Shea scored and Chris Eagles finished it off.

Number of posts : 27998
Registration date : 2005-10-13

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:05 pm

Statman wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Statman wrote:
Super wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
El Pablo wrote:
Tim Howard.
That was this game...

Wasn't it Ian Turner?
Yep
Was also the week Alan Ball died, 2-0 up and relatively safe. Turner dropped an easy ball, O'Shea scored and Chris Eagles finished it off.
Phil Neville with an OG as well, wasn't it?
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm

Just out of interest, if he impresses during this loan spell, how much would it cost to buy him, also presuming he will fit into our wages policy??
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3881
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 12:24 pm

SouthernSmugToffee wrote:Just out of interest, if he impresses during this loan spell, how much would it cost to buy him, also presuming he will fit into our wages policy??
£15-20m mind you if they don't rate him, they don't rate him. Sturridge went for a fair bit below his market value.
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm

Tonteau wrote:
SouthernSmugToffee wrote:Just out of interest, if he impresses during this loan spell, how much would it cost to buy him, also presuming he will fit into our wages policy??
£15-20m mind you if they don't rate him, they don't rate him. Sturridge went for a fair bit below his market value.
How much was left in the kitty after the summer transfers??
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3881
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gravy & Chips on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm

tuppence..
Gravy & Chips

Number of posts : 13076
Registration date : 2005-10-16

View user profile http://www.break.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 6:12 pm

Gravy & Chips wrote:tuppence..
we shouldn't show our hand early.... open the bidding at 1p
Made 4 Gwladys

Number of posts : 33006
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 6:23 pm

Made Foo Gwladys wrote:
on the drip as well Very Happy 
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 6697

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:
Shocked  what's happened to the rest of our transfer fund!!! there was a least two bob, one of billy's old scarfs and a mangie dog in there last time I looked!!!

On a serious note - does anyone really think that if Lukaku does well this season that Chelsea will sell him, or if they do that we'd be able to afford him? I'd love it to happen like, but say he scores 20 goals, then everyone and his dog (probably not the mangie one) will be in for him, including Chelsea.

If he only scores 15 goals then we might be in with a chance - Martinez should sub him off when he starts to look dangerous to keep his numbers down... Very Happy 
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25375
Registration date : 2005-10-14

View user profile http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:44 am

Saccum Praestigiatorum wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:
Shocked  what's happened to the rest of our transfer fund!!! there was a least two bob, one of billy's old scarfs and a mangie dog in there last time I looked!!!

On a serious note - does anyone really think that if Lukaku does well this season that Chelsea will sell him, or if they do that we'd be able to afford him?  I'd love it to happen like, but say he scores 20 goals, then everyone and his dog (probably not the mangie one) will be in for him, including Chelsea.

If he only scores 15 goals then we might be in with a chance - Martinez should sub him off when he starts to look dangerous to keep his numbers down... Very Happy 
This is, as you pointed out a while back, the slight problem with Martinez's mentality. It's still a bit 'Small Club' - get a good player in to do a job for a season and then struggle when they leave. We've never been loaned a player this good by a club in Chelsea's position before. Bolton had this big time when they lost Sturridge and Wilshire (and, albeit, a few other influential players through injury and contract expiry). We have to expect not to have Deulofeu or Lukaku next season, which means we need to learn to play without them - the win against Chelsea was very pleasing in this regard. However as we've seen with Chelsea (sturridge) and Liverpool (carrol) if a manager doesn't rate a player and doesn't think he'll fit into their style of football, then they will let them go for a knock down(ish) price. What we have to do is make sure if that is the case with Lukaku, we're in the best position to buy him.
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:22 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:

On a serious note - does anyone really think that if Lukaku does well this season that Chelsea will sell him, or if they do that we'd be able to afford him?  I'd love it to happen like, but say he scores 20 goals, then everyone and his dog (probably not the mangie one) will be in for him, including Chelsea.

This is, as you pointed out a while back, the slight problem with Martinez's mentality. It's still a bit 'Small Club' - get a good player in to do a job for a season and then struggle when they leave. We've never been loaned a player this good by a club in Chelsea's position before. Bolton had this big time when they lost Sturridge and Wilshire (and, albeit, a few other influential players through injury and contract expiry). We have to expect not to have Deulofeu or Lukaku next season, which means we need to learn to play without them - the win against Chelsea was very pleasing in this regard. However as we've seen with Chelsea (sturridge) and Liverpool (carrol) if a manager doesn't rate a player and doesn't think he'll fit into their style of football, then they will let them go for a knock down(ish) price. What we have to do is make sure if that is the case with Lukaku, we're in the best position to buy him.
I actually think there's a case to be made for not letting him look too good this season. Use him sparingly, then buy him for £10m. On the other hand, Sturridge was always clearly a decent striker, but the Eurotrash clubs like Chelsea, Citteh and even Madrid to some extent need to have flashy new managers and flashy new strikers every couple of years. So Lukaku is unlikely to get a real chance at Chelsea, and Sturridge was always going to be better advised to join someone like the Shite.

On a different note, I now have an excess of PL clubs to hate. I always hated the Shite, goes without saying, but not ManUre cos the Shite hated them so much. Now I hate ManUre cos Moyes has turned into a cunt. I hate Citteh cos they have all that money but are fucking clueless, and I hate Chelsea cos everyone hates Chelsea. I don't hate Arsenal or Spurs yet, but I'm working on it. I think I need to see a therapist. Help.
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 23474

View user profile http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:

I actually think there's a case to be made for not letting him look too good this season.  Use him sparingly, then buy him for £10m.  On the other hand, Sturridge was always clearly a decent striker, but the Eurotrash clubs like Chelsea, Citteh and even Madrid to some extent need to have flashy new managers and flashy new strikers every couple of years.  So Lukaku is unlikely to get a real chance at Chelsea, and Sturridge was always going to be better advised to join someone like the Shite.

On a different note, I now have an excess of PL clubs to hate.  I always hated the Shite, goes without saying, but not ManUre cos the Shite hated them so much.  Now I hate ManUre cos Moyes has turned into a cunt.  I hate Citteh cos they have all that money but are fucking clueless, and I hate Chelsea cos everyone hates Chelsea.  I don't hate Arsenal or Spurs yet, but I'm working on it.  I think I need to see a therapist. Help.
Bolton*... because Sam Allardyce managed there
Newcastle.... because Sam Allardyce managed there
Blackburn*.... because
West Ham.... because..... yes and because Harry managed there
QPR*.....
Spuds.....
Southampton.....

As regards the Shoite....
Strangely enough, there was a time 30 years ago (Thatcher era) when I just wanted a team from the City to stuff whoever it was from the south. I suppose I was living the cliché of having brother and cousins who Shoite fans... then came the ban on us because of them and to a point I am still pissed at that because it stopped our journey on the virtuous cycle in its tracks... without it there was a decent chance we would have continued to build and been an established part of the European elite in time for the switch to CL.I laugh (smirk would be more accurate when they call us bitter, the problem is that when they now see what is happening to them now with near European football... they are beginning to see our point.

Clubs I do not mind.... Arsenal... (actually like Wenger and the clubs attitude around player power vs managerial power), City I have grown to like through some very close friends (actually its almost become the social match of the year for me)... Fulham (well what's there not to like about Fulham... cracking site of a couple of 606 Away days...)..... and for the antithesis of Big Sam/'Arry I give you Ian Holloway - because I just think he is a decent bloke doing a difficult job in a whimsical way.... so Palace are ok - for now
Da Judge

Number of posts : 8418

View user profile http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:54 pm

Uwist61 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:

I actually think there's a case to be made for not letting him look too good this season.  Use him sparingly, then buy him for £10m.  On the other hand, Sturridge was always clearly a decent striker, but the Eurotrash clubs like Chelsea, Citteh and even Madrid to some extent need to have flashy new managers and flashy new strikers every couple of years.  So Lukaku is unlikely to get a real chance at Chelsea, and Sturridge was always going to be better advised to join someone like the Shite.

On a different note, I now have an excess of PL clubs to hate.  I always hated the Shite, goes without saying, but not ManUre cos the Shite hated them so much.  Now I hate ManUre cos Moyes has turned into a cunt.  I hate Citteh cos they have all that money but are fucking clueless, and I hate Chelsea cos everyone hates Chelsea.  I don't hate Arsenal or Spurs yet, but I'm working on it.  I think I need to see a therapist. Help.
Blackburn*.... because
QPR*.....
Spuds.....
Southampton.....

Strangely enough, there was a time 30 years ago (Thatcher era) when I just wanted a team from the City to stuff whoever it was from the south. I suppose I was living the cliché of having brother and cousins who Shoite fans... then came the ban on us because of them and to a point I am still pissed at that because it stopped our journey on the virtuous cycle in its tracks... without it there was a decent chance we would have continued to build and been an established part of the European elite in time for the switch to CL.I laugh (smirk would be more accurate when they call us bitter, the problem is that when they now see what is happening to them now with near European football... they are beginning to see our point.

Clubs I do not mind.... Arsenal... (actually like Wenger and the clubs attitude around player power vs managerial power), City I have grown to like through some very close friends (actually its almost become the social match of the year for me)... Fulham (well what's there not to like about Fulham... cracking site of a couple of 606 Away days...)..... and for the antithesis of Big Sam/'Arry I give you Ian Holloway - because I just think he is a decent bloke doing a difficult job in a whimsical way.... so Palace are ok - for now
yeah I went through a phase of not hating the Shite in the late 80s/early 90s. I'd drifted away from footie, as I do every now and then, and - like you - I just wanted a team from the city to do well. At the time, I really hated Arsenal cos there were so many Gooner glory-hunters coming out of the woodwork down here. I was a much happier person when I didn't hate the Shite, and I'd love to get back to that mentality. Of course, it couldn't last. I realised I'd hit rock bottom the day of the Istanbul final, when I was chatting to a roofer who was doing some work for us and he said "oh, you're from Liverpool, I bet your really hoping for a win tonight!". I told him I'd rather my left bollock developed dry-rot and exploded than the Shite win the cup. He couldn't believe it: "But you're from Liverpool! Surely you want them to win it! I want any English club to win it." and he went off shaking his head thinking I was the biggest cunt he'd ever met. Mind you, he was right about that.

hairy cataract

Number of posts : 23474

View user profile http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 3:47 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Uwist61 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:

Blackburn*.... because
QPR*.....
Spuds.....
Southampton.....

yeah I went through a phase of not hating the Shite in the late 80s/early 90s.  I'd drifted away from footie, as I do every now and then, and - like you - I just wanted a team from the city to do well.  At the time, I really hated Arsenal cos there were so many Gooner glory-hunters coming out of the woodwork down here.  I was a much happier person when I didn't hate the Shite, and I'd love to get back to that mentality.  Of course, it couldn't last.  I realised I'd hit rock bottom the day of the Istanbul final, when I was chatting to a roofer who was doing some work for us and he said "oh, you're from Liverpool, I bet your really hoping for a win tonight!".  I told him I'd rather my left bollock developed dry-rot and exploded than the Shite win the cup.  He couldn't believe it:  "But you're from Liverpool!  Surely you want them to win it!  I want any English club to win it."  and he went off shaking his head thinking I was the biggest cunt he'd ever met.  Mind you, he was right about that.

I hate the Shite and Utd. I was a bit indifferent to Utd in the last few years because, as Hairy says, the Shite hate them so much, and since City got money, I always wanted them to beat City. I'm glad Moyes went to Utd and became such a cunt as it's given me a good reason to hate them again, which feels good and right. I can't believe I became so indifferent.

Outside of those too I hate most of the top teams but particularly Spurs, Newcastle and Villa. Don't know why, must be the fans.

I've never liked QPR as they're from London and used to have a plastic pitch. I also thought Gerry Francis was a cock.

I used to hate Fulham on the basis that, how can a club have a neutral stand? I hated them more when Mark Hughes was there but, recently I've found myself admitting that they are ok.

I can't think of a reason to hate Norwich.
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 3224
Registration date : 2005-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KoelJagz on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 4:25 pm

Irrational all consuming one-eyed hatred:
Liverpool

Medium to Mild Hatred:
Man Utd
Stoke
Arsenal
Man City
Aston Villa
Newcastle

Varied hatred, peaks and troughs every now and again.
Tottenham
Chelsea
Fulham
Sunderland
West Brom

Harmless, usually untroubled to Everton
Swansea
Southampton
West Ham
Cardiff
Hull
Crystal Palace

Number of posts : 26801
Registration date : 2006-01-22

View user profile http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 5:41 pm

Goodison_Gringo wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Uwist61 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:

Blackburn*.... because
QPR*.....
Spuds.....
Southampton.....

yeah I went through a phase of not hating the Shite in the late 80s/early 90s.  I'd drifted away from footie, as I do every now and then, and - like you - I just wanted a team from the city to do well.  At the time, I really hated Arsenal cos there were so many Gooner glory-hunters coming out of the woodwork down here.  I was a much happier person when I didn't hate the Shite, and I'd love to get back to that mentality.  Of course, it couldn't last.  I realised I'd hit rock bottom the day of the Istanbul final, when I was chatting to a roofer who was doing some work for us and he said "oh, you're from Liverpool, I bet your really hoping for a win tonight!".  I told him I'd rather my left bollock developed dry-rot and exploded than the Shite win the cup.  He couldn't believe it:  "But you're from Liverpool!  Surely you want them to win it!  I want any English club to win it."  and he went off shaking his head thinking I was the biggest cunt he'd ever met.  Mind you, he was right about that.

I hate the Shite and Utd. I was a bit indifferent to Utd in the last few years because, as Hairy says, the Shite hate them so much, and since City got money, I always wanted them to beat City. I'm glad Moyes went to Utd and became such a cunt as it's given me a good reason to hate them again, which feels good and right. I can't believe I became so indifferent.

Outside of those too I hate most of the top teams but particularly Spurs, Newcastle and Villa. Don't know why, must be the fans.

I've never liked QPR as they're from London and used to have a plastic pitch. I also thought Gerry Francis was a cock.

I used to hate Fulham on the basis that, how can a club have a neutral stand? I hated them more when Mark Hughes was there but, recently I've found myself admitting that they are ok.

Delia.
Armchair

Number of posts : 18313
Registration date : 2006-06-01

View user profile http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  KoelJagz on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 6:25 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Uwist61 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:

Blackburn*.... because
QPR*.....
Spuds.....
Southampton.....

Delia.
1-5 Efan Ekoku Crying or Very sad 

Number of posts : 26801
Registration date : 2006-01-22

View user profile http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 7:48 pm

Bluejagz wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Uwist61 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Blueberto wrote:
Made Foo Gwladys wrote:

Blackburn*.... because
QPR*.....
Spuds.....
Southampton.....

Delia.
1-5 Efan Ekoku Crying or Very sad 
1.) Mike Walker
2.) Being fined for poaching Mike Walker

Number of posts : 13037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:05 pm

Goog job Chelsea can't recall the loan deal. After tonight's performance could have done with a decent striker.
Super

Number of posts : 35907
Registration date : 2005-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top