Kevin Sheedy says?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  sefton on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:43 am




 Next Article 



David Moyes never interested in youth?




Everton‘s Under-18s coach Kevin Sheedy has taken a swipe at David Moyes and suggested that he was never interested in the youth academy when he was Everton boss.

Sheedy has been Everton‘s Under-18s coach since 2006 and worked alongside Moyes for a number of years, so is very well placed to pass judgement on him.

For United fans, it makes for grim reading to hear from a coach who worked alongside Moyes for seven years come out with a remark like that, not least because it shows that he has very little respect for Moyes.


All of you out there moyes was never interested in our youth team or players.
avatar
sefton

Number of posts : 9248
Age : 54
Location : Stoke Poges
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Armchair on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:17 am

He signed plenty of young players   
avatar
Armchair

Number of posts : 18333
Age : 37
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2006-06-01

View user profile http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:48 am

Armchair Evertonian wrote:He signed plenty of young players   

I'm a bit surprised by Sheedy's assertions too. Moyes didn't blood the young players quite like Martinez does, but then not many managers do!. Moyes is still the man who gave Rooney, Rodwell, Coleman, Gosling, Duffy, Gueye and countless other players competitive games as teenagers / 20 / 21 year olds - probably more out of necessity than desire, but I don't imagine it's quite true that he didn't care about the youth set up. 
 
I suspect someone had some column inches to fill. Martinez is at the other extreme of course, thrusting young players into the games - you could argue that somewhere in between the two is probably the correct approach.

_________________
Snitchy, snitchy.
avatar
Barry Horne's Equaliser

Number of posts : 13044
Age : 39
Location : Rugby
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Yankthattoffee on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:07 pm

Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:He signed plenty of young players   

I'm a bit surprised by Sheedy's assertions too. Moyes didn't blood the young players quite like Martinez does, but then not many managers do!. Moyes is still the man who gave Rooney, Rodwell, Coleman, Gosling, Duffy, Gueye and countless other players competitive games as teenagers / 20 / 21 year olds - probably more out of necessity than desire, but I don't imagine it's quite true that he didn't care about the youth set up. 
 
I suspect someone had some column inches to fill. Martinez is at the other extreme of course, thrusting young players into the games - you could argue that somewhere in between the two is probably the correct approach.
Seems a bit harsh on DM. Add Baxter to that list and it looks as though DM was interested in the ones who were good enough.
I'm not sure what more RM has done in that direction? Stones maybe, but that was out of necessity and the lad proved himself worthy.
avatar
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 5767
Age : 64
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 5:27 pm

Sounds like he never thought much of Moyes. Never a good idea broadcasting your views on Twitter but insightful none the less.
avatar
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 3228
Age : 40
Location : Lima, Peru
Registration date : 2005-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Helenqu on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 6:37 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:He signed plenty of young players   

I'm a bit surprised by Sheedy's assertions too. Moyes didn't blood the young players quite like Martinez does, but then not many managers do!. Moyes is still the man who gave Rooney, Rodwell, Coleman, Gosling, Duffy, Gueye and countless other players competitive games as teenagers / 20 / 21 year olds - probably more out of necessity than desire, but I don't imagine it's quite true that he didn't care about the youth set up. 
 
I suspect someone had some column inches to fill. Martinez is at the other extreme of course, thrusting young players into the games - you could argue that somewhere in between the two is probably the correct approach.
Seems a bit harsh on DM. Add Baxter to that list and it looks as though DM was interested in the ones who were good enough.
I'm not sure what more RM has done in that direction? Stones maybe, but that was out of necessity and the lad proved himself worthy.

I know Roberto has been to quite few of the youngsters games because it has been mentioned on the OS.
avatar
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4852
Age : 54
Location : Hatfield, Herts.
Registration date : 2005-10-15

View user profile http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  sefton on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:33 am

Helenqu wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:He signed plenty of young players   

I'm a bit surprised by Sheedy's assertions too. Moyes didn't blood the young players quite like Martinez does, but then not many managers do!. Moyes is still the man who gave Rooney, Rodwell, Coleman, Gosling, Duffy, Gueye and countless other players competitive games as teenagers / 20 / 21 year olds - probably more out of necessity than desire, but I don't imagine it's quite true that he didn't care about the youth set up. 
 
I suspect someone had some column inches to fill. Martinez is at the other extreme of course, thrusting young players into the games - you could argue that somewhere in between the two is probably the correct approach.
Seems a bit harsh on DM. Add Baxter to that list and it looks as though DM was interested in the ones who were good enough.
I'm not sure what more RM has done in that direction? Stones maybe, but that was out of necessity and the lad proved himself worthy.

I know Roberto has been to quite few of the youngsters games because it has been mentioned on the OS.


Moyes ,would never fly over to another country to sign a teenager like Roberto did for the young 15 year old Irish lad.
avatar
sefton

Number of posts : 9248
Age : 54
Location : Stoke Poges
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Sack the Juggler on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:34 am

Sounds like sour grapes from Kevin, maybe he had a few grapes (of the wine variety) when he said it?
avatar
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25390
Age : 53
Location : Walton
Registration date : 2005-10-14

View user profile http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Sack the Juggler on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:22 pm

good article here on it

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/465496/COMMENT-Kevin-Sheedy-wrong-to-kick-Man-Utd-boss-David-Moyes-while-he-s-down


THE office belonging to Everton's academy director, Alan Irvine, is slap bang at the front of the club's state of the art, Finch Farm training headquarters and the wall outside it is lined with rows of photographs.

The faces staring back belong to the youngsters who have graduated through the ranks and realised a dream by pulling on a first team jersey.

Ross Barkley is featured, but there are also the likes Jose Baxter, Jake Bidwell, Shane Duffy, Adam Forshaw, Nathan Craig, Hope Akpan and Kieran Agard who all played in a Europa League tie against Bate Borisov in December 2009.

Of the 14 players who represented Everton that night, in what was a dead-rubber, the majority were starry-eyed youngsters, while the three who were substituted (Tony Hibbert, Leon Osman and Jack Rodwell) had already made the journey from academy to the senior squad.

Everton's manager at the time was, of course, David Moyes.

It is a team sheet that makes interesting reading in light of the ill-informed comments from his former U18s coach Kevin Sheedy, who took to twitter over the weekend to harangue the Scot about the lack of interest he allegedly showed in the club's youth set-up.

The tweets are a source of embarrassment for Everton. Not because they kicked a man when he is down, posted as they were with Moyes now fighting for his future at Manchester United, but because they are simply not true.

Whatever the failings the former Everton manager is currently experiencing at Old Trafford, he is not down in the dumps because he has taken short cuts in his career, ignoring the next generation of talent to focus simply on the first team.

Indeed, there are arguably few managers who watch more games at all levels than Moyes and certainly, at Everton, he immersed himself fully into the club.

Of course, working hard is no guarantee of success at Manchester United, but it does serve to show that Sheedy's criticism is unwarranted.

Back in April 2009, when Tottenham were being undressed in a Champions League game in the Bernabeu by Real Madrid, Moyes shunned a night on the sofa in front of his TV and instead jumped in a car with coach Andy Holden.

A 400-mile, six-and-a-half-hour round trip ensued to South Wales to undertake a cloak and dagger, scouting mission on a Blue Square Bet Premier game.

"I went to see Newport and Darlington," said Moyes at the time. "There is a boy there who has been flagged up to us so I went to follow it up.

"I didn't even put tickets on the door. I was going to pay and stand on the terracing, but I got spotted so that was that.

"The deal will only be a few hundred grand, but the money for us, even at that level, I have to try to get it right and make sure we spend it properly.

I did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. I'll clock up the miles

"I did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. I'll clock up the miles. It is probably part of me."

The player in question was Dan Burn, then 18. Fulham eventually topped Everton's bid for the centre-back and Burn came back to haunt the United manager by starring in the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford earlier this year.

There are countless other stories similar to that which could be relayed.

It is a misguided insinuation that Moyes is not interested in young players, perpetuated perhaps by the notion that Barkley has flourished under Roberto Martinez where he was stymied under the previous regime.

Certainly, Moyes was less trusting than Martinez has proved even if Barkley has started two of Everton last six matches.

But the England midfielder still started matches at Arsenal and Tottenham around this time last year and had actually made his debut as far back as the opening day of the 2011-12 season.

Wayne Rooney, Rodwell and Barkley are the success stories of Everton's youth set up during the 11-years in which Moyes was in charge.

A fair return for a club that did not have masses of money to spend, and so was more reliant than most on what they themselves could nurture? Sheedy is better placed to pass comment.

Go back to that night against Bate Borisov and track the progress of those youngsters given an opportunity to try and prove they should be part of the club's future: Baxter (now Sheffield United), Bidwell (Brentford), Duffy (on loan at Yeovil), Forshaw (Brentford), Akpan (Reading), Agard (Rotherham) and Craig (Torquay).

In addition, Shkodran Mustafi - signed by Moyes in 2009 - came on as a substitute and he is thriving at Sampdoria in Serie A, having recently been called into the Germany squad.

The irony of Sheedy's comments is that Moyes actually had every reason to ignore the youth set-up because the conveyor belt had reached something of a standstill.

But instead he recognised the problem and tried to solve it, fighting off Tottenham to acquire 15-year-old George Green from Bradford City for a £600,000 fee in 2011.

His last signing for Everton back in January 2013 was 18-year-old John Stones for £2m from Barnsley, the defender described at the weekend by club captain Phil Jagielka as a certainty to play for England.

Moyes finds himself accused of many things at present. But Sheedy, whose trusty left foot always found the mark during his playing career at Everton, is well wide of it on this occasion.
avatar
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25390
Age : 53
Location : Walton
Registration date : 2005-10-14

View user profile http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Armchair on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:12 pm

I suppose you could argue that Moyes gave a lot of players first team football, but not for very long. Barkley is the classic example, playing a few games and then finding himself on the bench/in the reserves, but Vellios is another. He had a couple of runs in the first team under Moyes and looked good, scoring a few goals, but hasn't featured since (although Bobby hasn't used him either so maybe there are other issues). Those lot that played against Bate? They never made it.
avatar
Armchair

Number of posts : 18333
Age : 37
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2006-06-01

View user profile http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:08 pm

another one is MacAleny ... he looks the real deal ... shame he broke his leg ... only time will tell if he's truly over it, but he was on the beanch a few weeks back.. wasn't he ?
avatar
Made 4 Gwladys

Number of posts : 33006
Age : 58
Location : between tax havens
Registration date : 2005-10-17

View user profile http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  VenezuelaBlue on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

An unusually cheap shot from Sheeds all the same. He should know better than that. If you have any issues with your boss sort it out at the time - don´t wait for for a year and then go bleating to the press.

I agree with Sacko - he was probably pissed up and his tongue went AWOL.
avatar
VenezuelaBlue

Number of posts : 2082
Age : 58
Location : Caracas
Registration date : 2006-11-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Sheedy says?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum